Social security

© Asaf Kliger/

No extra insurance needed 

As a citizen from an EU/EEA country, your European Health Insurance Card gives you the right to medical care at the same costs as Swedes. There is no need for extra insurance!

If you’ll be staying in Sweden for more than a year, you can register with the Swedish Tax Agency for a personal identity number. Once you’ve received your number, you’ll be entitled to all healthcare and pay Swedish patient fees.

Visit a doctor

In case of emergency, always call 112

If you need to visit a doctor, you can either make an appointment at the student health centre at your university or go to the local healthcare centre vårdcentralen. Patient fees vary but are usually about SEK 150-200 for a consultation. Doctors in Sweden speak good English!

Dernière mise à jour