From 1 January 2021, a student visa is required if you are staying in the UK for more than 6 months.
You can apply for a student visa to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you:
- have been offered a place on a course by a licensed student sponsor
- have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course - the amount will vary depending on your circumstances
- can speak, read, write and understand English
Before you leave for Britain, follow these steps
- Try to gather all useful information on the various universities and their study programs.
- Make your application before the official deadlines.
- Follow the news regarding Brexit and its implications for students.
- Once you have been offered a place by a university, apply for a student visa. The earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before you start your course.
- Enroll for an English test before you sit your secondary school leaving examination (Toefl or IELTS tests) .
- Get information about scholarships and life in Britain in general.
- Find accommodation; apply for a room in halls of residence or in private accommodation.