Plan your studies

You have decided to study in the USA. So, you should plan everything carefully in advance.

  1. find your college or university: begin your research at least 12 to 18 months prior to the academic year in which you hope to attend a college or university.
  2. verify the institution's accreditation or ask Cedies
  3. 1 August: begin your applications 
  4. September: request a transcript from your school and 2 or 3 reference letters.
  5. register for and sit a language test ( TOEFL ) and an admissions test if required  ( SAT or ACT )
  6. start your financial planning as early as possible.

Need a visa? 

A valid passport and a US visa are needed to enter the United States.

An interview with a consular officer, as well as inkless fingerprint scans at the U.S. Embassy are required for most visa applicants.

  • apply online for a student visa (F-1/M-1)
  • schedule an interview at the consulate

Documents needed to complete your application:

  • Passport
  • travel itinerary, if you have already made travel arrangements
  • dates of your last five visits or trips to the USA
  • résumé or curriculum vitae
  •  SEVIS ID, which is printed on your I-20 or DS-2019
  • Address of the school or university/programme at which you intend to study.

Follow the procedure on the website of the US Embassy

What is a form 1-20A-B “certificate of eligibility”?

The I 20-A.B is sent to you by a US institution that considers you qualified for a full course of study.

Dernière mise à jour