Before leaving

Before leaving for the United States, you must take different steps:

  • get informed about the different American institutions of higher education and their entrance requirements (at least 10 months in advance)
  • take the different tests usually required (Toefl test and SAT or ACT test)
  • then apply directly to the institutions
  • after receiving the confirmation of your admission, do all the necessary preparations in order to get the visa from the US Embassy
  • try to get information about student accomodation and all other technical details like taking an additional health insurance 

Obtaining your visa

A valid passport and U.S. visa are needed to enter the United States.

An interview with a consular officer, as well as inkless fingerprint scans at the U.S. Embassy, are required for most visa applicants.

Your university will apply for your visa after you accept their letter of admission. So obtaining a visa is usually one of the last steps before you depart for the United States.

  1. Apply online for your visa DS 160 on
  2.  schedule an interview at the consulate

Documents needed to complete your DS-160

  • Passport
  • Travel itinerary, if you have already made travel arrangements
  • Dates of your last five visits or trips to the United States
  • Résumé or Curriculum Vitae
  • SEVIS ID, which is printed on your I-20 or DS-2019
  • Address of the school/program at which you intend to study

Follow the procedure on the website of the U.S. Embassy

What is a form I-20A-B “Certificate of Eligibility”?

The I 20A-B is sent to you by a U.S. institution that considers you qualified for a full course of study.

Dernière mise à jour