November to January (with most in January)
Begin your research at least 12 to 18 months prior to the academic year in which you hope to attend a college or university.
- 1 August: you may begin most of your applications. The Common Application (used by over 600 American universities) and most other universities’ applications become available online.
- Finalise your university choices to the 2-8 universities to which you will apply
- Register for and sit an admissions test (SAT or ACT)
- September: request a transcript from your school and 2-3 reference letters.
Typical Application Requirements
- A completed application form
- Application fee ($50-100 per university)
- Admissions exam scores (SAT or ACT, IELTS and TOEFL)
- 2-3 essays (personal statement)
- Transcript (document listing your academic qualifications and marks )
- 2-3 letters of reference (for some universities)
- Interview (for some universities)
What is IELTS?
The IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System. Accents and vocabulary tend more towards British, Australian, Canadian, New Zealand English. To register for the IELTS visit the Institut National des Langues in Luxembourg.
What is SAT?
The SAT is a standardized test widely used for college admissions in the United States..Like American students, you must arrange to take the SAT in the last year of your secondary studies. The SAT is administered by the College Board, a private organization based in the USA. The SAT is offered 6 times per year in Brussels (October, November, December, January, May and June). It is advisable to take the test as early as possible, so that test results can reach the university admissions officers before the application deadlines.
If you intend to apply for a postgraduate programme, you should be holder of at least a Bachelor’s degree (with good academic achievements), give evidence of letters of reference, make a personal statement and possibly undergo some specific entrance examinations (e.g GMAT-Test for business studies).
Meet the EducationUSA Adviser present at Cedies on specific Mondays